On this page
Statistics and demographic sources
Canadian and U.S. Government Statistics Agencies
International Statistics Agencies
- CIA World Factbook - Basic facts about the countries of the world.
- FAOSTAT - Large time series and cross-sectional data relating to hunger, food and agriculture for 245 countries.
- International Trade Centre UNCTAD/WTO - Trade Statistics
- OECD iLibrary - Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- undata - United Nations common statistical database.
- United Nations Statistics Division
- United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) - Statistical Database
- World Bank: Data
- World Development Indicators - Over 600 development indications for 208 countries.
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Ministry of Energy and Mines
- Ministry of Environment
- Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
- Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Heritage
- Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada
- Environment Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Health Canada
- Industry Canada
- Natural Resources Canada
For information on additional government sources, see Finding Government Resources & Information.
Maps and atlases
Detailed instructions for finding maps at SFU Library are in the Geography - Finding Maps and Atlases guide. See the Map Collection guide for complete information about map resources at SFU Library. The SFU Library collection also includes atlases, sheet maps, digital maps, air photos and gazetteers.
- Blank and Outline Maps - World, continents, countries, Canadian provinces, US States.
- David Rumsey Map Collection - 18th and 19th century North and South American cartographic materials.
- National Geographic MapMaker Interactive - US and international political, physical, climate and thematic maps.
- Landkarten & Stadtplan Index - Maps, city plans, earthquake maps, satellite pictures, historical maps. German site.
- TerraServer - Topographic maps and orthophotos for the United States.
- Earth Explorer (USGS)
- The National Geologic Map Database (USGS)
- The Atlas of Canada
- National Map Small-Scale Collection (USGS)
- GeoBC Atlas
- Blank and outline maps - Includes world, continents, countries, Canadian provinces, US States.
- United Nations Cartographic Section
- David Rumsey Historical Map Collection
- SFU Library's Data & GIS pages
- Digital Terrain Data - US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- EarthExplorer (USGS)
- GeoConnections - Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI)
- Geoscience Data Repository - Free databases from NRCAN.
- National Climatic Data Center - US Department of Commerce. World's largest archive of climate data.
- NSIDC Data Catalog - US National Snow and Ice Data Center.
- Canadian Geographical Names Data Base (CGNDB)
- Data (NRCan)
- GeoConnections - Canadian Geospatial Data Infrastructure (CGDI) - Canadian geospatial information initiative. Find and download geospatial data, and access a variety of resources including:
- National Forest Information Systems (NFIS)
- Water Survey of Canada [online or Hydat CD-ROM]
- GeoBC Gateway - Includes links to Maps & Stats, Base Maps, and the TRIM Program.
- British Columbia Geological Survey - Includes Map Place.ca where you can create and download custom maps.
- Geoweb: North Vancouver District GIS - Mapping, census, land, environmental, zoning, and building data.
- BC Geology Maps - Ministry of Energy and Mines
- BC Watershed Atlas Maps
United States and International
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) - Maps, Imagery, and Publications
- United Nations Cartographic Section - General maps of countries and regions, peacekeeping maps, thematic maps and more.
- Data.gov - Datasets
- Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing (TIGER) - United States Census Bureau.
- United Nations Atlas of the Oceans
- USGS Water Data Discovery
- Web Soil Survey (WSS) - Sources of soil data from USDA.